Petersburg Museums

Petersburg Museums (HM12VS)

Location: Petersburg, VA 23803
Country: United States of America

N 37° 13.99', W 77° 24.267'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 238 views
Inscription
Blandford Church

Blandford Church was built in 1735 as the seat of worship for colonists who were members of the Anglican Church. The church building was abandoned in 1806 when membership in its congregation dwindled as a result of the consecration of a new church building in downtown Petersburg. In the late nineteenth century, work began to restore the building for use as a Confederate Memorial chapel. The Ladies Memorial Association of Petersburg organized the restoration campaign. As part of the restoration project, the Ladies Memorial Association solicited funds from each former Confederate state for the creation and installation of a stained glass window in memory of the Confederate soldiers from that state. Louis Comfort Tiffany's studio was commissioned to design the fifteen memorial compass windows. The Virginia, Missouri, and Louisiana windows were the first to be unveiled in 1904. The subject and theme of each window was left entirely up to the Tiffany studios. Each of the large windows contains the image of a Saint and symbols associated with the Saint. The four smaller windows were designed to complement the larger ones.

Centre Hill Mansion

Built in 1823 by Robert Bolling IV, Centre Hill remained an opulent Petersburg residence until 1936, and became a museum in 1950. Through guided tours, visitors learn about the history of Centre Hill, including its role during the Civil War and the Presidential visits by Abraham Lincoln and William Taft. Examples of eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth century decorative arts, many from the Petersburg area, are also exhibited. Visitors can also view the service tunnel, constructed in the 1840s that led from the back of the house to nearby Henry Street. The basement galleries in Centre Hill feature permanent and temporary exhibitions on the history of Petersburg. Permanent exhibits include memorabilia and photographs from Centre Hill's archives, a turn-of-the-century aviary 0f stuffed birds from Australia and church furnishings from First Baptist Church, Harrison Street, Petersburg, the oldest African-American congregation in the United States.

A ghost watch is held ever January 24th, the dale that former residents heard what they believed to be the steps of ghosts of Civil War soldiers marching up and down the home's staircase. During the month of December, Centre Hill host their holiday open house.

Blandford Cemetery

The cemetery adjacent to Blandford Church has been used as a burial ground since the eighteenth century. The oldest marked grave dates from 1702. As many as 30,000 Confederate soldiers are buried in Blandford. The gravestones, sculptures, and tombs represent a diverse array of eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth century artistic styles. In addition, some plots feature exquisite examples of nineteenth century decorative iron fences. A walking tour, highlighting some of the monuments and burial sites around the Church is incorporated into the Church tour, weather permitting. More extensive cemetery tours are offered throughout the year, including a Halloween evening tour on October 31.

Siege Museum

The story of the 9½ month military siege and its effects on daily civilian life is told though artifacts and writings of the permanent exhibition house in the Siege Museum. Three lower level galleries feature changing exhibits relating to Petersburg's four hundred year history. Visitors can also view the powerful film The Echoes Still Remain, narrated by the actor Joseph Cotton, a native of Petersburg.

Built in 1839, the building was originally constructed as an agricultural exchange building, one of the few remaining in the United States today. After the agricultural exchange folded in 1845, the Greek revival style building was used by various civic and commercial organizations. The City of Petersburg restored and opened the building as the Siege Museum in 1978. The building is a National Historic Landmark.
Details
HM NumberHM12VS
Tags
Placed ByCity of Petersburg
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 at 3:37am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 286699 N 4123447
Decimal Degrees37.23316667, -77.40445000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 37° 13.99', W 77° 24.267'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds37° 13' 59.40" N, 77° 24' 16.02" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)804, 434, 757
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2-8 E Old St, Petersburg VA 23803, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?