This is an original 1928 marker from the Lincoln Highway, the nation's first transcontinental road, which extended from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park in San Francisco. This segment of the highway, now known as the Avenue of the Trees, is a state point of historic interest. The Black Walnut trees were first planted in the 1870s by Hugh LaRue, pioneer farmer, civic leader, and U.C. Regent. Parallel to the highway is a bikeway named in honor of Howard Reese, city manager of Davis from 1966 to 1985.