Town of Foxborough Incorporated 1778To help support its public school,Dorchester set aside a 650 acre farm in this vicinity which it leased in 1710 to Robert Calef for a total of 308 years. Solomon Hews was operating a tavern here in 1728 when governor William Burnet and the contingent escorting him from Bristol to Boston stopped here for refreshments. Hews lost the farm by foreclosure and it was broken up in 1772. The old tavern was demolished long ago.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Foxborough Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 2:59am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||19T E 312258 N 4656649|
|Decimal Degrees||42.03948333, -71.26826667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 2.369', W 71° 16.096'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 2' 22.14" N, 71° 16' 5.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||508, 781, 774|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 345 South St, Foxborough MA 02035, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|