Since its construction in 1892 as a meeting hall, this building has been in continuous community service. In addition to its use for community meetings, the building also was used for an elementary school, church services, a nursery school, a recreation center, and a temporary library. It originally was named "Curtis Hall," in honor of William W. Curtis, one of the developers or the Carlin Springs community. Today, the Glencarlyn Citizens Association manages the building. Carlin Community Hall is a designated Arlington county landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.