Born near Glasgow, Scotland in 1670, removed to Ireland because of religious persecution and settled in County Down in 1695. In 1734 he, with his kindred and friends, came to America and settled near Kingstree in Williamsburg Township. He was the leading spirit in the erection of the First Williamsburg Meeting House in 1736. He died in the Fall of 1737 and was the first person buried in this graveyard.
Of Covernanter blood, a descendant of John Knox, he was a zealous adherent to the principles of the Presbyterian Reformed Church of Scotland. A man of deep piety, strong moral courage, and a leader in the affairs of the community.
This marker is erected by Grateful descendants who unite in honoring and perpetuating his memory
Erected September 1938