Head of navigation on the Mohawk in former days. Here for untold ages pre-Indian drew forth his canoe and transported it to Wood Creek. Here, also, for many decades, in times of normal water the white man landed his bateau.
During the siege of Fort Stanwix in Aug. 1777, Sir John Johnson had a camp of his Loyalist Regiment near this spot, which was attacked and looted Aug. 6, by Lt. Col. Marinus Willett and 250 of the garrison. On his return from his subsequent raid on the camp at the Lower Landing place on the same day, Willett was attacked a short distance north of here by a body of Brig. Gen. Barry St.Leger's British regulars, drawn up on the opposite side of the river. Sharp firing ensued, the British being driven back and the garrison re-entering the fort with much booty from the raided camps.
Guarding the landing place 1755-56 stood Fort Williams.