For generations, in seasons of low water, the bateaux of traders and of the armies were here removed from the Mohawk (as the river then flowed) and conveyed across the Oneida carrying place to be re-launched in Wood Creek.
Here, Aug. 2, 1777, Lieut. Henry Bird, commanding St. Leger's advance guard composed of 30 regulars and a party of Indians under Joseph Brant, established the first camp of the British investment of Fort Stanwix. This was attacked and looted, Aug. 6, by Lt. Col. Marinus Willett and 250 continental troops.
Capt. Lernoult and 110 British regulars then erected here a fortified camp with two small cannon and held it for the remainder of the siege.
Here also was the lock, the starting point for the first canal connecting the waters of the Mohawk and Wood Creek, commenced by the Western Inland Lock & Navigation Co., in 1792.