James Wilson, a Norwegian immigrant shoemaker, purchased the property and brick building to the right in 1869. The brick building housed his shop; living quarters were in the rear. Wilson died in 1876, leaving his widow, Rose, and 8 children. This home had been planned and she saw to its completion in 1878. Dr. and Mrs. James McConnell purchased the properties in 1941, restored the home, moving in to it in 1943. Geraldine McConnell, widowed in 1961, continued to reside here. The home was the governor's mansion for a day in 1945 when Columbia was designated a state historic monument; also, it was featured in the movie "High Noon." It is noteworthy that 2 widows, Rose, in the 19th century, and Geraldine, in the 20th century, have been responsible for the building, restoration and preservation of this landmark.