Historical Marker Series

Maryland: Baltimore City Historical Markers

Showing results 1 to 10 of 61
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMXA_the-peabody-library_Baltimore-MD.html
In 1857, George Peabody's founding letter dedicated the Peabody Institute to the citizens of Baltimore in appreciation for their "kindness and hospitality." The Massachusetts-born philanthropist eventually moved to London where he built one of the largest m…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMXB_the-peabody-conservatory_Baltimore-MD.html
Established in 1857 by the philanthropist George Peabody, The Peabody Conservatory of Music was the first institution in America for the education of professional musicians. The list of those who have taught or studied here reads like a "Who's Who of Americ…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMZV_edgar-allan-poe-house_Baltimore-MD.html
"The little house in the lowly street with the lovely name." This was how Edgar Allan Poe described 203 Amity Street, where he lived from 1832 to 1835 with his grandmother, aunt, and cousin Virginia, whom he married in 1836. While living here, the famous…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM12C_phoenix-shot-tower_Baltimore-MD.html
Built in 1828 by the Phoenix Shot Tower Company, this soaring 215 foot structure is the last remaining shot tower of the three that accented Baltimore's skyline in the 19th century. Shot pellets used as ammunition for muskets was produced by pouring molten …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM12F_st-vincent-de-paul-church_Baltimore-MD.html
St. Vincent de Paul Church is the oldest Catholic parish church in the city. The church was built in 1840-1841 to accommodate the growing Irish Catholic population east of the Jones Falls. Its gleaming white Georgian tower has long been recognized as a visu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15F_zion-lutheran-church_Baltimore-MD.html
Founded in 1755, Zion Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Maryland. German Lutherans began settling in Baltimore Town shortly after it was laid out in 1730. Relying on itinerant preachers from Pennsylvania, the small struggling community worshippe…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15L_baltimore-city-courthouse_Baltimore-MD.html
This "noble pile" as it was described at the dedication of January 8, 1900, is the third courthouse built on Monument Square. When Calvert Street was leveled in 1784, the original courthouse—site of the May 1774 Stamp Act Protest and the July 1776 rea…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15N_the-flag-house-and-star-spangled-banner-museum_Baltimore-MD.html
The Flag House was the home of Mary Pickersgill and the site where she sewed the Star-Spangled Banner.Mary Pickersgill moved into the Flag House in 1807 with her mother, Rebecca Young, and her daughter Caroline, and set up a flag making shop. In the summ…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM15Q_9-north-front-street_Baltimore-MD.html
A survival from the 18th century, this house was built in the section of the city known as "Jonestown." Designed and built in the 1790's in the Federal style, 9 North Front Street was once part of a neighborhood of merchants, artisans and "gentlemen." Am…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1H8_mt-clare_Baltimore-MD.html
This outstanding Georgian mansion, built between 1754 and 1768, was the home of Charles Carroll, Barrister and framer of Maryland's first Constitution and Declaration of Rights. Carroll and his wife Margaret Tilghman made Mount Clare a center of enlightened…
PAGE 1 OF 7