Historical Marker Series

Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail

Showing results 1 to 10 of 20
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3CE_woods-crossing_Jamestown-CA.html
Tuolumne County history begins here. Early in 1848 a party of Philadelphia prospectors under the leadership of James Woods discovered gold 500 feet south east of this marker, where the old road crosses the creek now bearing Woods' name. James Savage, J.H. R…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3CG_jacksonville_Jamestown-CA.html
Near this site, now inundated by the waters of Don Pedro Reservoir, stood the historic town of Jacksonville. It was settled by Julian Smart who planted the first garden and orchard in the spring of 1849. Named for Colonel A. M. Jackson. In 1850 it was the p…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM41M_tuolumne-formerly-called-summersville_Tuolumne-CA.html
Geographical center of East Belt Placer Gold Rush, 1856-57. First white settlers, the Franklin Summers family, arrived in 1854 and built log cabin half mile west. James Blakely, in 1858, discovered first quartz lode, half mile east, naming it "Eureka", whic…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM44E_sawmill-flat_Sonora-CA.html
Name derived from two sawmills erected here to supply mining timbers early 1850's. Population at one time 1000. Rich in pocket gold in heyday. Mining camp of Mexican woman, Do?a Elisa Martinez, at north end of flat, reported to have been hideout of famous b…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM44G_springfield_Columbia-CA.html
Springfield received name from abundant springs gushing from limestone boulders. Town with its stores, shops and hotel, built around plaza. Once boasted 2,000 inhabitants. Believed founded by Donna Josefa Valmesada, Mexican woman of means with reputation fo…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM44H_shaws-flat_Sonora-CA.html
In 1850 this community was alive with gold miners. James D. Fair, after whom the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is named, was one of the most notable. The Mississippi House, built in 1850, contains many relics including the original bar and postoffice with…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM44O_cherokee_Tuolumne-CA.html
First placer camp in East Belt section of Mother Lode. Gold discovered here in 1853 by Scott brothers, descendants of Cherokee Indians. Scars of placer "diggings" in every little arroyo in Cherokee Valley healed over by Mother Nature later replaced by quart…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM455_parrotts-ferry_Columbia-CA.html
Site of ferry crossing established 1860 by Thomas H. Parrott connecting mining towns of Tuttletown and Vallecito. Ferry in operation until 1903 when first bridge built. Ferry boat of flat bottom wooden construction propelled on heavy cables. Cable anchorage…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM45A_tuttletown_Sonora-CA.html
Early day stopping place for men and mounts. Named for Judge Anson A. H. Tuttle who built first log cabin here in 1848. Stones used in this base from old Swerer Store built in 1854, remains of which still exist, 1949. Mark Twain traded here. Tuttletown Hote…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM45S_mark-twain-cabin_Sonora-CA.html
Stopping place of packers carrying supplies to miners. Often 200 jackasses on hill over night furnishing concert suggesting name "Jackass Hill". Very coarse gold found here. $10,000 taken from 100 square feed of ground. Quartz found containing 3/4 of total …
PAGE 1 OF 2