Historical Marker Series

Virginia: City of Falls Church

Showing results 1 to 10 of 18
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM18P_fairfax-chapel_Falls-Church-VA.html
Circuit riders brought methodism to area in the late 1700s, holding meetings in homes. Fairfax Circuit initiated in 1776. Clapboard chapel built in 1779 and enlarged in 1798 on acre of land donated in 1918 by heirs of George Minor (a part of 1731 271-acre T…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM18U_taylors-tavern_Falls-Church-VA.html
Two-story building with verandahs stood on 56 acres bought in 1856 by Wm. Taylor (part of 1731 271-acre T. Harrison grant). Tavern faced Alexandria-Leesburg Pike west of Junction with Georgetown Road (Wilson Blvd.). Near here on June 24, 1861, balloonist Th…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM18V_tallwood_Falls-Church-VA.html
Neo-colonial Brice residence, built in 1870 on 95-acre farm of John Green (Part of 1742 208-acre Harrison grant). Yale Rice, descendant of founder of Yale Univ., bought the property in 1890. Dr. and Mrs. Milton Eisenhower owned the house 1938-1943; Had hous…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM18Z_dulin-methodist-church_Falls-Church-VA.html
After the Civil War demolition of Fairfax Chapel, the original part of this Gothic revival church was built by Southern sympathizers in 1869 on 2 acres donated by Wm. Y. Dulin (Part of 1742 208-acre Geo. Harrison Grant). Original chapel now forms the right …
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM190_wrens-tavern_Falls-Church-VA.html
Famous ordinary believed to be part of Federal-style mansion built on 145 acres bought for $291 in 1787 by James Wren (part of 1742 208-acre G. Harrison grant). Lying north of Alexandria-Leesburg Rolling Road, tavern operated 1789-1815 under James and To 18…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM192_turnpike-tollgate_Falls-Church-VA.html
(Text on Front of Marker): Alexandria-Leesburg Pike, chartered in 1813, was completed after 1838. An 1862 map shows a house and tollgate on four acres bought by John Williams in 1857 (Part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant). An older tollhouse is suspected bu…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM19A_jefferson-institute_Falls-Church-VA.html
(Front Side Text): In 1875, citizens of newly chartered town subscribed to build school, as classes were held in Baptist Church, in 1880 Joseph Birch donated land (a part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant) specifying it always must be used for education. In 1…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM19C_the-birch-house_Falls-Church-VA.html
Located on 2.1 acres of land purchased by Joseph E. Birch for $105 in 1849 (part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant). Original house was 1 1/2 story "I" house, raised to 2-stories in 1850s; 1873 addition doubled the size. Blacksmith/farmer Birch was on first t…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM19J_presbyterian-church_Falls-Church-VA.html
In 1846 Presbyterians first met in private homes. In 1854, Dr. Simon J. Groot bought 11 acres for $179 (part of 1729 246-acre Trammell grant); Built two-story Groot Hall in 1856; Used for Sunday services, private school, community groups, town hall, and Uni…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM19P_the-falls-church_Falls-Church-VA.html
This Georgian-style church designed and built in 1767-69 by James Wren, related to Sir Christopher, replacing the 1733 frame structure on 2-acre lot (part of 1729 248-acre Trammel grant). Washington and Mason were vestrymen. After the 1788 disestablishment …
PAGE 1 OF 2