George Washington Slept Here
Showing results 1 to 10 of 164
Constructed shortly after Fredericksburg's founding in 1728, the tavern across the intersection became a popular gathering place under the proprietorship of its first owner, John Gordon, and then of his son-in-law, George Weedon. George Washington was somet…
Four blocks west stands Kenmore, built in 1775 by Col. Fielding Lewis for his wife, Betty, sister of George Washington. Near here, between Kenmore and the Rappahannock River, stood Lewis's warehouses and docks. Kenmore's intricate plasterwork is the finest …
Daniel St. Thomas Jenifer's home. First President of the Maryland Senate 1777-1781. Close friend of George Washington who visited here June 3rd 1763.
George Washington stayed here the night of June 5, 1773 on his way back to Mt. Vernon from Columbia College, New York, where he had left his stepson Jackie Custis.
Replica of Washington's Town House. Lot purchased by George Washington 1763. House completed 1769 - torn down 1855. Rebuilt by Gov. and Mrs. Richard Barrett Lowe 1960. Bricks & stones from excavation used in construction. Worth Bailey, Historian; E. S. Holl…
Part of Friendship Tract and home of Robert Alexander, delegate to the Provincial Convention of 1774 and to the Continental Convention of 1776. On August 25, 1777, he was host to Washington here and three days later offered allegiance to British General How…
Old Post Road established 1666. Lower Susquehanna Ferry established 1695. Rodgers' Tavern where George Washington frequently stopped between 1781-1798.
On August 5 and 6, 1785, and again June 30 and July 1, 1791, was the guest of Thomas Johnson at the latter's manorial residence which stood on the site of the present farm house, about 150 yards east of this point. Thomas Johnson, a member of the Continenta…
Visited Warwick Feby, 1756, March 1756. "Din'd and lodg'd at Mr. D'L Heath's May 1773. Passed through Sept, 9 and Oct. 28, 1774. Breakfasted March 23, 1791 and again in September 1793."
Erected by act of Assembly of Maryland, May 1736, on a tract called Tolchester. A base of Continental supplies, 1775 to 1783. Port of Entry and ferry landing. George Washington stopped here enroute to points north and south. · Burned by British May 6…