Historical Marker Series

Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects

Showing results 1 to 10 of 202
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM90_school-and-gymnasium-block_Mesquite-NV.html
Public Square, Circa 1894 · Tent Chapel and School, circa 1899.When Mormon settlers came to Mesquite Flats in 1894, they designed the southeast corner of this block as the Public Square. It was a place where the community gathered for many events. At…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMG1_the-chapin-house-henry-austin-chapin_Niles-MI.html
The Chapin House.This Queen Anne style house, completed in 1884, was the Henry A. Chapin family home until 1902. In 1932, when the City of Niles bought the property at auction for $300, the Chapin children stipulated that it be used only for civic purposes.…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1JR_william-bartram-trail_Palatka-FL.html
William Bartram, botanist, artist, naturalist, humanist, explored this area and headquartered near here in 1774.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1JU_the-florida-keys-memorial_Islamorada-FL.html
The Florida Keys Memorial, known locally as the "Hurricane Monument," was built to honor hundreds of American veterans and local civilians who perished in the "Great Hurricane" on Labor Day, September 2, 1935. Islamadora sustained winds of 200 miles per hou…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM1VX_spotsylvania-county-jail_Spotsylvania-VA.html
When the Blockhouse Road Courthouse, located 3 miles southwest of here, burned to the ground in 1937, the new Courthouse was built at this intersection of the Fredericksburg and Brock roads on property conveyed from tavern owner, Lewis Rawlings. ? ? ?The…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM26U_william-trent-house_Trenton-NJ.html
This house was builtin 1719 byWilliam Trentfor whom Trenton was namedGiven to the City of Trentonin 1929 byEdward Ansley StokesRestored 1934-1936 by the Civil Works Administration the Emergency Relief Administration and the Works Progress Administration und…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2BX_a-natural-magnet-for-native-americans_Trenton-NJ.html
Cast your gaze downstream and try to imagine a landscape unaltered by European settlement and the Industrial Age. It is difficult today to appreciate the abundance of natural resources that once surrounded the mouth of Crosswicks Creek even as recently as 1…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM2FC_watkins-park_Nashville-TN.html
Land once known as Watkins Grove was given to the city in 1870 by brick maker and contractor Samuel Watkins. It served as a site for political gatherings, school commencements and concerts. This became Nashville's first public park in 1901. Park Board chair…
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM3G7_brigadier-general-francis-stebbings-bartow_Manassas-VA.html
Born Savannah Georgia, Sept. 16, 1816Mortally wounded on this spot,July 21, 1861Commanded 7th, 8th, 9th & 11th Georgia &1st Kentucky RegimentsThe first Confederate officerto give his life on the field.
www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HM4B8_colleton-county-courthouse_Walterboro-SC.html
(Front Text): The original section of this courthouse, completed in 1882 after the county seat moved to Walterboro from Jacksonborough, was built by contractor William Thompson. The front portico is attributed to Robert Mills, who completed an unfinished de…
PAGE 1 OF 21