The stone demijohn and memorial plaque, placed by the Sons of the American Revolution, were originally located on a bridge crossing the Monocacy River about 2 miles east of this site. The stone bridge of four arches and two 65-foot spans was constructed in 1808. It collapsed on March 3, 1942. The Francis Scott Key Memorial Foundation, Inc., provided funds for relocation of these monuments.
When it was learned that French General Lafayette was planning to visit the United States in 1824, a committee of citizens invited the General to visit Frederick, since many local men had served under his command during the Revolution. Lafayette accepted. He arrived on December 24, 1824, and was met by Fredericktonians on the Monocacy Bridge just outside of town.
Among those present to greet him were the Mayor, several members of Congress, and local Revolutionary War hero Sergeant Lawrence Everhart, who had rescued Lafayette during the Battle of Brandywine. Lawrence Everhart was born in Germany in 1755, but lived most of his life in the Middletown area. He was referred to as the "bravest of the brave."