This two-story Federal structure is significant for its architecture and for its personal associations. The house is one of only two pre-1830 brick structures still intact in Rockville.
The front section is 24-feet high and 24-feet wide. It rests on brick foundations and is set in flemish bond pattern brick. It is three bays across and one bay deep with a small porch sheltering the front door. Several additions were built in the 19th century. Outbuildings include a smokehouse, chicken house, a garage, and privy.
Julius Bingham, publisher of a weekly Rockville newspaper, built the house in 1821 and left an interior brick inscribed "JAB 1821." The house has been owned by several other prominent leaders of Rockville, including William McClenahan, organizer of the Rockville Christian Church and teacher at the Rockville Academy; the Veirs family, local landowners; and the Brewer family, members of which were influential in local government, legal, commercial, and educational affairs. At the turn of the 20th century, the Brewer household included 10 children living in the home.
The appearance of the front section of the house has been maintained as built and all modern additions constructed in the rear.