This house, built between 1878 and 1885, was the home of James Washington Moore (1837-1912), lawyer, Confederate officer, state legislator, and militia officer. Moore, a native of Gillisonville, was educated at the University of Ga. and returned to S.C. in 1859 to practice law. He was a sergeant in the Hampton Legion Cavalry, then 1st lt. and adjutant of the 2nd S.C. Cavalry, and was wounded in 1863.
Moore represented Beaufort District in the S.C. House 1866-67, and moved to Hampton when Hampton County was created in 1878. He was Hampton County's first state senator, serving 1878-1894 and 1901-02. Moore was also chairman of the senate military committee and an officer in the militia, retiring as a major general in 1891. He is buried at Gillisonville Baptist Church, in what is now Jasper County.