From Hospitality to Hospital
— Antietam Campaign 1862 —Constructed in 1754 on the banks of the Rappahannock River in Virginia, this building was reconstructed here in 1846 and became Landon Female Academy. Early in September 1862, while infantry of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia rested near Frederick, Lee's cavalry chief Gen. J.E.B. Stuart occupied Urbana to report on any Federal advance from Washington. Having received an enthusiastic welcome from the community, Stuart hosted a dance here at the academy for Confederate cavalrymen and local ladies. The 18th Mississippi Cavalry's regimental band provided the music, and military flags decorated the building. When Union cavalry threatened the Confederate picket posts at Hyattstown, however, the dancing ended abruptly as Stuart's men galloped off to reinforce the pickets. They quickly returned and the ball resumed, but soon they converted the building to a field hospital when wounded men arrived. Later, the Federals also used the academy as a hospital.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Maryland Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 at 4:10am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 297609 N 4355721|
|Decimal Degrees||39.32725000, -77.34801667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 19.635', W 77° 20.881'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 19' 38.10" N, 77° 20' 52.86" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||240, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3401 Urbana Pike, Frederick MD 21704, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|