June 19, 1864. Maj. Gen. John A Logan's 15th A. C. * was deployed astride this, the old Marietta road; Smith's 2d div., N. E. of it; Osterhaus' 1st, S. W.; Harrow's 4th, in reserve. This was the 2d & final sector held by Sherman's left wing on the Kennesaw Mountain front.
Heavy fire from the Confederate artillery on the mountain, was countered, June 23, by 2 batteries of Rodman & Parrott guns, erected by Osterhaus on the hill just W. —the excavations being still visible.
June 25, 27. Logan's troops, shifted S. W. to the Burnt Hickory Rd., relieved the 14th A. C., & assaulted the lower end of the mountain.
* (U.S. flag logotype)