In April 1, 1894, the St. Mark's Hospital Board of Directors authorized the establishment of the first Official Nurses Training School in the Intermountain Region. Mary Edith Newitt was employed as Superintendant of the Training School.
The first nurse to come to the school was Miss Anna Stair. Of a class of twelve, only four were graduated. Anna Stair, Ethel Newitt, Florence Bowler and Hattie Durfee. This was a two year program.
In 1898 Mrs. Nellie Crossland became Superintendent and one of her outstanding accomplishments was the organization of the St. Mark's Nursing Alumni Association in 1904.
An affiliation between Westminster College and St. Mark's was established in 1948. Two alternatives were now available to students. A three year course leading to an R.N. diploma and an Associate of Science Degree, or an additional two year course leading to a Baccalaureate School of Nursing.
In 1968 Thomas J. Hartford, Jr., Hospital Administrator, phased out the diploma program and working with Westminster College launched a Baccalaureate nursing program with the honorary title of St. Mark's / Westminster College Baccalaureate School of Nursing. Lottie Felkner was the first Director.
In 1982 Dr. Mari Lou Steffen was appointed Dean of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences at Westminister College, a position which she currently holds.
"How unmindful we are of those who have gone before ... those giant pioneers who laid the foundation for the life work of so many others." (From the book St. Mark's Hospital School of Nursing written by Lottie Felkner, R.N., M.S. with the assistance of Mildred Larsen, R.N.)
Thomas J. Hartford Administrator, St. Mark's Hospital Dr. Mari Lou Steffen Dean, Westminster College, School of Nursing and Health Sciences Sharon Killion Hansen, R.N., B.S.N. President, St. Mark's / Westminster College, Nursing Alumni Association