Masonic Lodge #19The first recorded meeting of this organization, known as Palmetto Lodge #19, took place Aug. 7, 1794, at the Samuel Saxon home, which stood nearby. Officers present were: Master, Joseph Downs; Deputy Master, Nathaniel McCoy; Senior Warden, Wm. Holiday; Junior Warden, John Wolff; and Secretary, Ezekiel Roland. Still in existance, this is the oldest Masonic Lodge in Laurens County; its minutes date from 1794.
Samuel SaxonIn 1792, this local attorney, merchant and Palmetto Lodge member conveyed the present court house land to Laurens County for the sum of two guineas. Saxon also cleared a number of surrounding acres. He served in the S.C. House 1789-91; was elected sheriff of Ninety-Six District 1791. His home was located on the south side of present East Main St., about 150 feet east of here.