Our Anchor in Time"For generations this great spring was the main source of water supply for the town. Before the white man settled around it the Indians and the buffaloes knew it well. It was at the crossing of two old trails—one up and down the Valley, since widened into the Valley Turnpike, the other crossing the Valley from east to west. During the Civil war thousands of soldiers, Blue and Gray, quenched their thirst at this generous place of refreshment. But some time after 1896,when the new court house was erected, the court house square was paved and the old spring had to go the way of civilization." —Art Folio of the Shenandoah Valley, John Wayland, 1924.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 1:16am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 685915 N 4257802|
|Decimal Degrees||38.44916667, -78.86950000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 26.95', W 78° 52.17'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 26' 57.00" N, 78° 52' 10.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 60-66 US-33, Harrisonburg VA 22801, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|