The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast highway built in 1913. A group of visionary businessmen from the automotive industry, led by Henry B. Joy and Carl Fisher, formed the Lincoln Highway Association.
The Association successfully spearheaded the creation of a publicly-funded road that stretched from New York City, NY to San Francisco, CA. The road would be the first transcontinental highway. The Association engaged in very little actual road building, but it did fire the public's imagination and soon their project was under way. When it was done it stretched 3,389 miles.
In Pennsylvania, much of the Lincoln Highway was constructed by improving and linking pre-existing roads. It was a focal point of the Good Roads Movement, which would ultimately lead to the development of the highways all over the nation.
The Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor, is a non-profit heritage region that follows the Lincoln Highway through six Pennsylvania counties: Westmoreland, Somerset, Bedford, Fulton, Franklin, and Adams.
The Altland House, established in 1880, is located on one of the oldest tavern sites in Adams County. In 1801 John Fox established an inn here on Abbotstown's square, the oldest town in the county. Carefully restored, the Altland Hosue continues to serve Lincoln Highway travelers fine food and lodging.
Hold a coin or car key against the stainless steel contact pins to listen as Charles Bream Jr. of Gettysburg, PA shares early Lincoln Highway memories.