The Confederate Hospital was established at Mount Jackson under the direction of Dr. Andres Russell Meem by order of the Confederate Medical Department in Richmond, Virginia about September 15, 1861. Dr. Meem, a native of the area, was a graduate of Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania Medical College.
Dr. Meem, on a visit to Harrisonburg February 26, 1865, became ill with an unknown ailment and died at the age of 41.
The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, 150 feet long, accommodating up to 500 patients. A cemetery was established across the Valley Pike on the west side of land belonging to Colonel Levi Rinker.
In the Summer of 1865, the 192nd Ohio Volunteer militia tore down the hospital and built a large village, including a courthouse, guardhouse, ballroom and gallows, at Rude's hill, three miles south of Mount Jackson. Federal occupation forces used these buildings throughout the reconstruction period. When reconstruction ended in 1875, the structures were removed.