San Diego Merchant and Ranchero
— 1799 - 1860 —Don Jose Antonio Aguirre built his adobe mansion on this site on or just prior to 1868. Because the Casa de Aguirre was one of the first houses in Old Town, the Aguirre - Antonio, his wife Rosaria and their many children - are considered to be one of San Diego's founding families. Don Antonio was a wealthy merchant and rancher who contributed greatly to the development of San Diego. Locally, he owned several ships and warehouses and imported goods from Peru and China in trade for cowhides and tallow. Later, Aguirre became one of the largest landowners in California when he developed a successful ranching enterprise. Born in Spain, he also held Mexican and American citizenship in his lifetime. In 1850 he partnered with William Heath Davis to develop New Town San Diego. Aguirre was known for his charity and funded many projects including the construction of the Old Adobe Chapel on Conda Street, where he is buried.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the Markers Attached to Sculpture series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 17th, 2014 at 8:40pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 481641 N 3623973|
|Decimal Degrees||32.75346667, -117.19598333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 45.208', W 117° 11.759'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 45' 12.48" N, 117° 11' 45.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||619, 858, 949|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2600-2626 San Diego Ave, San Diego CA 92110, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|