John and Sarah Selleck built their cabin near the Castleton Road when they moved to Hubbardton from Connecticut in 1775. Like many other families, they had come here to farm and raise their families away from the crowding and turmoil in the coastal colonies. When the Military Road was built in 1776, it put their cabin at the junction of two very busy roads. Both roads were being used to transport men and supplies to sites in every direction throughout the new frontier.
The Sellecks fled the area when the community was hit by a Tory and Indian raiding party early on the morning of July 6th. Finding the Selleck cabin deserted when they arrived, the Americans made it their field headquarters. By the afternoon of July 7, 1777 the British and Germans held the field and also made use of the cabin, not only as a headquarters but also as a hospital for the worst of the wounded.
The Sellecks, along with some of the other area families, returned to the site after the Revolutionary War ended. They occupied the property until at least 1820 and are buried in the small cemetery located at Sucker Brook. This foundation, located approximately on the site of the original Selleck cabin, may represent a later Selleck residence.