"Covered bridges" or "lattice bridges" werecommon throughout the Eastern U.S, during thenineteenth century. This bridge formerlyspanned the North Fork of the Oconee River inthe city of Athens, Ga.. connecting CollegeAvenue and Hobson Avenue.
Clarke County Ordinary S.M. Herrington let abuilding contract 26 March, 1891, for $2,470.to W.W. King. It cost $18,000 to move thebridge from Athens, 60 miles, to this point.Bridges like this were refuge for travelersduring storms, courting couples, and robberswho hid themselves on the overhead timbersand dropped down on the unsuspecting victim.