In 1864 the direct road from Tunnel Hill to Varnell's, passed through Harris Gap at this point, which is just N. of where Rocky Face drops off into continuous foot-hills.
Federal operations in Crow Valley by the 23d A.C., began with its march S. from the Dr. Lee house to this road. Schofield had h'dq'rs at the Harris house (which stood opp. this marker until 1952), May 8-10, 1864.
May 9, Judah's 2d & Cox's 3d divs. moved S. from this road, astride the low ridge (E. of Rocky Face, toward Stevenson's sector of the Dalton defenses. Hovey's 1st div. in reserve, guarded the gap & supported Judah & Cox.