1823-1973On August 20, 1823, the Board of Trustees of Ohio University, of which Judge Ephraim Cutler was a leading member, set aside 300 acres "west of the College green" for a botanical garden and the site of a medical college, in memory of the co-founder of the University, Rev. Dr. Menasseh Cutler, who died July 26, 1823. The great Ginkgo Biloba nearby is a relic of these gardens, which are being commemorated this day August 20, 1973 by the planting of Franklinia Alatamaha by C. William O'Neill, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Ohio.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 11:56am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 404741 N 4353103|
|Decimal Degrees||39.32210000, -82.10510000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 19.326', W 82° 6.306'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 19' 19.56" N, 82° 6' 18.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||614, 740|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 700 S Shafer St, Athens OH 45701, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|