The turn of the century brought the continuation of growth and change to Littlestown.
The photos depict businesses and properties which may be familiar to many despite some changes in appearance.
The Littlestown to Hanover trolley line, installed in 1908, was one of the most significant developments in the early part of the century and provided direct access to Hanover and beyond. The trolley line remained in service until 1932.
Development of manufacturing facilities and businesses provided jobs for Litlestown residents and a demand for everyday services and facilities. Several business played an important role in the 20th century industrial growth of Littlestown. Among them were the Littonian Shoe Factory, Littlestown Throwing Co. (1904), later known as Littlestown Silk Mill, Cambridge Rubber Co., Koons Greenhouses, B.F. Shriver Canning Factory, and Keystone Milling Co.
Everyday needs of residents were provided by local merchants such as Orndorff's Meat Market, Weikert's Bakery, Community Pure Food Store, Hollinger's Food Market, Bowman's Food Market (in the former Post Office) and American Store (formerly Crouse's), among many others. Littlestown Savings Institution built a classic style structure in 1917 and the Littlestown National Bank followed with a similar design in 1921. Automobiles arrived early in the century and shared the streets with trolleys, horses and carriages, bicyclists and pedestrians alike. The Basehoar Ford Garage on East King Street was a well known business.
There were two movie theaters, the Regent, and the Town. Restaurants such as the Texas Lunch and Boydie's Restaurant were favorites.
During this period, the community developed public amenities such as Crouse Park (1913), the Playground (1919) and Memorial Field (1948). The borough sanitary system was built under the WPA in 1941, and the first traffic lights were installed at the square in 1946. Parades, Christmas celebrations, and especially annual agricultural fairs marked the seasons for Littlestown citizens and visitors. By 2000 the Borough's population had grown to 3,947.