Architectural drawings suggest that the caretaker's residence dates to the 1920s and was designed to house two families who worked for the Knights. Cleveland lewark, chief hunting guide and superintendent of the property, lived in one side of the house while his father Tilman, who fished the area, lived in the other.
When the caretaker's residence burned to the ground in 1948, the two families living here worked for Whalehead Club owner Ray T. Adams. George and Gladys Smith lived in one side. He was the marsh guard and she cleaned ducks and ironed laundry. Charlie Johnson, the ground maintenance man, lived in the other.
After the caretaker's residence burned, Adams purchased the decommissioned Penney's Hill Life Saving Station and moved it nearby for staff housing. Later, it was relocated farther north on the beach.
[Text with upper photo:] Penny's Hill Life Saving Station which Ray T. Adams moved to the Whalehead Club. Photograph courtesy of John F. Cook Jr.
[Text with lower left photo:] The caretaker's residence.
[Text with lower right photo:] Caretaker Cleveland Lewark.