In 1907 William Truesdale, president of the DL&W, hired architect Frank J. Niles of New Jersey to replace the original locomotive shops. Niles designed four new structures: A five story pattern shop, a foundry, a blacksmith shop, and a locomotive erection shop.
At its peak in 1910 almost 2000 men worked at the shops. DL&W continued to repair and manufacture locomotive equipment at this site until 1951. As new modes of transportation replaced the railroad, work declined. When DL&W sold the site to the government in 1951, 1300 men worked in the shops.
Across Ceder Avenue at the present site of the General Dynamics works, once stood one of the Lackawanna Iron and Steel Company's Rolling mills and steel mills. LI&S shared the site with the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad shops until 1901, when LI&S dismantled its buildings, and left Scranton for Lackawanna, New York.