Textile Hall, built in 1917to host the annual SouthernTextile Exposition, stoodon this site until 1992.The first exposition ofthe Southern TextileAssociation had been heldin Greenville in 1915.Textile Hall, designed byJ. E. Sirrine & Co. at acost of $130,000, was afive-story RenaissanceRevival building: itsfacade featured a limestonetablet bearing the initials"STE" for "Southern TextileExposition" and the words"Textile Hall"
When built, Textile Hallwas described as "a fittingmonument to...the propercooperative spirit." Ithosted the Southern TextileExposition from 1917 to1962 and gave Greenvillethe title "Textile Centerof the South." It alsohosted many other meetingsand special events, such asthe annual Southern TextileBasketball Tournament, withteams representing millsacross the South. Listedin the National Register ofHistoric Places in 1980,it was demolished in 1992.