Coweta, an original county, was created by Acts of June 9, 1825 and Dec. 11, 1826 from Creek cessions of Jan. 24, 1826 and Mar. 31, 1826. It was named Coweta to perpetuate the fame of the head chief of the Coweta Towns, Gen. William McIntosh, half-blood Creek Indian. Gen. McIntosh, daring soldier and useful ally during the War with the British, was killed in his home by some of his own people after he signed the Treaty at Indian Springs, ceding land to the Whites. First officers of Coweta, commissioned May 15, 1827 were: Josiah B. Beal, Sheriff; John F. Beavers, Clk, Sup. Ct; Henry Taulett, Clk, Inf. Ct.; Irwin Baggett Surveyor; Shadrach Green, Coroner.