The Augusta and Aiken Railway, a 26 mile interurban electric trolley line between Augusta, Ga., and Aiken, operated from 1902 to 1929. In Aiken the line began at the corner of Park Ave. & Union St., proceeded west on Park, then north on Laurens St., then west on Hampton Ave., and toward Augusta on what is now Trolley Line Rd. The first passengers paid 25 cents to ride 2 hours one way or 4 hours for a round trip.
In 1906 the railway bought 4 new passenger cars with 52 seats each. Built by the J.G. Brill Car Co. of Philadelphia, they were nicknamed "Big Reds." Stops between Aiken and Augusta were Graniteville, Madison, Warrenville, Gloverville, Langley, Bath, Clearwater, Summerhill, and North Augusta. The trolley line struggled with the advent of the automobile and made its last run from Aiken on July 8, 1929.