Completed in 1886, this was the home and place of business of Theodore F. Armstrong, a prominent local merchant and civic leader. Reflecting the growing prosperity of the community and its residents, this hybrid of Queen Anne and Gothic architecture is a fine example of the splendor and flamboyance of the Victorian ear. Active in community affairs, Mr. Armstrong served as President of the Newark City Council, and as a member of the State House of Representatives. In 1888 he was appointed Inspector-General of the Delaware National Guard by Governor Benjamin Biggs.
In 1916 this property was sold to Robert T. Jones, Sr. Al local funeral director, Mr. Jones had previously conducted business on Main Street at the present-day location of the University of Delaware's Harter Hall. After relocating, Mr. Jones renovated the attached storeroom so that it could be used for holding funeral services. He was succeeded in business by his son, Robert T. Jones, Jr. In 1979 Mr. Jones was joined by Mr. Robert T. Foard, Jr. The property was purchased by Mr. Foard in 1998. R.T. Foard and Jones is the oldest funeral business in continuous operation in Newark.