North Augusta, chartered in 1906, includes the site of two early towns. Campbell Town was a trading post on the Savannah River before the American Revolution. Hamburg, founded in 1821 as a port on the river, was an early western terminus of the S.C. Rail Road. When the line was completed from Charleston to Hamburg in 1833, it was the longest railroad in the world. In 1890 James U. Jackson (1856-1925) founded the North Augusta Land Co. and bought 5,600 acres here.
James U. Jackson built a bridge over the river in 1891, and a trolley line in 1897. By 1902 the trolley ran from Augusta, Ga., to North Augusta, and on to Aiken. The Hampton Terrace Hotel, which stood here from 1902 until it burned in 1916, soon attracted visitors seeking a winter resort, and the population grew to 1,500 by 1913. The opening of the Savannah River Plant in 1950 swelled the population to more than 10,000 and spurred major growth and development.