Founder of the Sisters of CharityBorn Aug. 28, 1774, in New York, she came to Emmitsburg from Baltimore June 24, 1809, occupying stone house on these grounds July 31. The following year, in White House visible from here, she organized nation's first Roman Catholic Parochial School. After her death Jan. 4, 1821, she was buried in "the little wood." In 1846 her body was re-interred in mortuary chapel. Canonized a saint by Pope Paul VI Sept. 14, 1975, she is the first native of the United States so honored.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Seton Shrine Center and Maryland Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 6:15pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 300202 N 4396670|
|Decimal Degrees||39.69651667, -77.33025000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 41.791', W 77° 19.815'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 41' 47.46" N, 77° 19' 48.90" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||301, 240|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 333 S Seton Ave, Emmitsburg MD 21727, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|