Units of the Union Second Cavalry Division, commanded by Brig. Gen. D.M. Gregg, were engaged here with a portion of the Confederate "Stonewall" Brigade, Johnston's Division, from about 6 to 10 p.m. on July 2, 1863. The 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry occupied the ground to the right, the 1st New Jersey Cavalry and Company A, Purnell (Maryland) Legion to the left, the 10th New York Cavalry and a section of Battery H, 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery were in support.
On July 3, the 16th Pennsylvania Cavalry of Gregg's Division was formed here in a skirmish line which connected on the left with infantry units on Wolf's Hill and on the right with Brig. Gen. George Custer's Cavalry Brigade.