Charles City County, VirginiaThis area was settled before 1622 by George Shinehow. Tobacco warehouses and docks were located at Swineyards and Willcox Wharf. A post office was established at Swineyards in 1848 and later located at Willcox Wharf. Landmarks have included Bethany Presbyterian Church (est. 1869), Little Elam Church (est. 1886), Bethany School (later known at Little Elam School), Little Elam Pilgrim School, the Taylor Male Female Seminary (est. 1847), Woodburn School (est. 1886) and a general merchandise store, operated first by the Willcox family and later by H. C. Bourne. Prominent area homes include the home of H. C. Bourne, now known as Indian Fields Tavern, Auburn, Buckland, River Edge, Colesville, which served as Grant's headquarters, and Woodburn, the home built by John Tyler in 1813 and later owned by Judge Isaac Christian. The homes of Indian Fields, Center Farm and Buckland, the residence of Judge James M. Willcox, formerly stood in this vicinity.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 3:58pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 313293 N 4133784|
|Decimal Degrees||37.33198333, -77.10746667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 19.919', W 77° 6.448'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 19' 55.14" N, 77° 6' 26.88" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 6954-7538 Virginia Capital Trail, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|