Upper tablet: This tablet is placed upon the Liberty Tree by the Peggy Stewart Tea Party Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution of Annapolis, Maryland, October 19, 1907 to commemorate the first treaty made here with the Susquehannocks in 1652, and that George Washington in 1791 and General Lafayette in 1824 visited St. John's College. Through the munificence of James T. Woodward, of New York City, this tree estimated to be over 600 years old, has been preserved from decay.
Lower tablet: Before the American Revolution large trees served as meeting sites where patriots protested British actions. After independence, Maryland's Liberty Tree, a mature Tulip Poplar, continued to be an important landmark for Annapolis and for St. John's College, which, from 1929, held graduation in its shade. In September 1999, this last surviving Liberty Tree was fatally damaged by a hurricane.
Through the munificence of the graduating class of 2007, this young tulip poplar now replaced the original Liberty Tree, in the hope that it too may stand and serve St. John's, Annapolis, Maryland, and the nation for generations to come.