Dedicated December 10, 1990
In honor of former Vice Mayor
John W. Tolbert, Jr.
The Tolbert building was originally two dwellings located at 6 and 8 Loudoun Street; built prior to 1796 on a part of lot no. 14, which was sold by Nicolas Minor to John Gladdin in 1758. Purchased by the town in 1967, it served as the town's police headquarters in the late 1970's and was converted to retail/office use in the early 1980's. In a public/private partnership with the town of Leesburg, Peter and Diana Burnett purchased the building and had it moved to this location on April 1, 1990.
John W. Tolbert, Jr., the first black person elected to public office in Leesburg, served on the council from 1976 to 1990 and served as Vice Mayor of the town from 1988 to 1990. Vice Mayor Tolbert was instrumental in forging the public/private partnership essential to the relocation and restoration effort for this building, which made way for the construction of the first public parking structure in Loudoun County.