Built 1797 by John Wise, tavern keeper, and his residence, until 1799. Rental property when sold to Major Jacob Hoffman 1810-1825, included outbuildings, gardens, small sugar refinery. Next owner Elizabeth Thacker Hooe leased house to Benjamin Hallowell, schoolmaster, who had prepared Robert E. Lee for West Point. Lee was often a guest at the house. Purchased 1832 by John Lloyd and remained in his family to 1918. Saved by Robert V. New from demolition 1956. With contributions from federal, state and city governments, the Hoge Foundation, Historic Alexandria Foundation, and others bought 1968 and restored by Alexandria Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission as choice example of Late Georgian architecture.