In 1916 Finnish immigrants constructed a hall near this site under the name of a literary association (Kirjallixuus Seura), forming a lending library. Although they brought their diet, language, and saunas with them, some old country beliefs were left behind. These people found it necessary to meet where they could study the social customs of their new country, challenge and question partisan politics, and reflect on new theological insights. At this cultural center were held language classes, meetings, athletic activities, wedding dances, funerals and programs with oratory, drama, poetry, vocal and instrumental music. Steaming kettles of coffee and the warmth of dignified waltzes, pulsating polkas and schottisches brought togetherness to these rugged individualists.
Life to them was involvement.