East of this site was located West Portal, the largest of 4 'camps' or company towns, built in 1934 by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for employees and their families who worked on the Mono Basin Project. At the height of construction, the town had over 200 residents and 26 buildings. And for its time, it had many 'modern' conveniences - telephones, electricity, gas, mail service, paved roads, water and sewer systems (a metropolis by Mono County standards). By 1941 the project was completed and within a few years the town was abandoned. Although its existence was brief, West Portal made a lasting contribution to the development of Mono County. Today, its remnants can be seen near the base of the Mono Craters.