The Peabody Institute and George Peabody Library

The Peabody Institute and George Peabody Library (HM4YR)

Location: Baltimore, MD 21202
Country: United States of America

N 39° 17.839', W 76° 36.889'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 148 views
Pictures
Photo Credits: [1] SEPTEMBERSPARROW1666  [2] SEPTEMBERSPARROW1666  [3] SEPTEMBERSPARROW1666  
Inscription

The Johns Hopkins University

Philanthropist George Peabody founded the Institute in 1857 as a cultural center for the city's residents. In addition to establishing the first academy of music in America, the Institute originally comprised a public library, a lecture series, and an art gallery.

Baltimore architect Edmund G. Lind designed the main building of the conservatory, which was completed in 1866. The library collection grew so quickly that a new building was constructed in 1878. Lind also designed the library, joining it so masterfully with the conservatory that the building's Italianate Renaissance Revival exterior appears to have been constructed all at once. Both the Institute and the library are now divisions of the Johns Hopkins University.

Peabody Institute

Under the direction of well-known musicians, composers, conductors, and Peabody alumni, the Institute grew from a local academy into an internationally renowned cultural center throughout the late 19th and 20th centuries. Today, the Peabody trains many of the nation's classical musicians.

Through its constituent divisions, the degree-granting Conservatory music school, and the community-based Preparatory music and dance school, the Institute trains musicians and dancers of every age and at every level, from small children to seasoned professionals, from dedicated amateurs to winners of international competitions. Each year, the Peabody stages more than 150 concerts and performances ranging from classical to contemporary and jazz, many of them free - a testament to the vision of George Peabody.

George Peabody Library

Renowned for its magnificent interior, the library features an atrium surrounded by five tiers of ornamental cast-iron balconies and gold-scalloped columns rising more than 60 feet to a latticed skylight. Nathaniel H. Morison, first provost of the Institute, described the elegant library as a "cathedral of books." The ironwork was created by Baltimore's Bartlett, Robbins & Company.

Now one of the Johns Hopkins' Sheridan Libraries, it serves the university's academic programs worldwide. The 300,000 volume Victorian research collection includes books dating from the 15th century, with particular strength in the 19th century. Both the library and the exhibition galelry are open to the public.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM4YR
Series This marker is part of the Maryland: Baltimore City Historical Markers series
Tags
Historical Period19th Century
Historical PlaceLibrary, School
Marker TypeHistoric Building
Marker ClassHistorical Marker
Marker StyleMounted
Year Placed2008
Placed ByThe City of Baltimore, Shiela Dixon, Mayor
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 at 3:15pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 360753 N 4351013
Decimal Degrees39.29731667, -76.61481667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 17.839', W 76° 36.889'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 17' 50.3400" N, 76° 36' 53.3400" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)301, 410, 443
Can be seen from road?Yes
Is marker in the median?No
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 33-99 E Mt Vernon Pl, Baltimore MD 21202, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments