This 19th century two-story flagstone-covered Russell House represents a type of local architecture predominant in rural northern Virginia from the mid-19th century to the 1960s. The house, its barn, granary and other outbuildings made up one of the last farms in eastern Prince William county. Originally a hog and dairy farm, it was converted to dairying in the 1950s. The farm buildings were torn down in 1991. On this site also stood the Russell Store, the center of local commercial and social activity in the Bethel, Smokestown, Agnewville, and Hoadley sections of the county. The two-store general store, dating from the early 1900s, was operated by Daisy Tavenner Russell from 1917 until 1977. It was razed in 1992.