John Smith's meeting with the MannahoacksIn August of 1608, Captain John Smith and his crew explored the lower Rappahannock from the Chesapeake Bay to a point just upstream from this location. Soon after landing, the group was attacked by Mannahoack Indians, a Siouan people who were gathered at a large fishing camp along the River. The English opened fire and all of the Indians fled except for one bowman, named Amoroleck, who was wounded. Mosco, an Indian interpreter hired for the trip, gathered information from Amoroleck which Smith later used to develop a map of the upper Rappahannock.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 6:26pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 284272 N 4244009|
|Decimal Degrees||38.31826667, -77.46763333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 19.096', W 77° 28.058'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 19' 5.76" N, 77° 28' 3.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 15025 Old Mill Park Access to Heritage Trail, Fredericksburg VA 22401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|