This house witnessed the building of the C&O Canal. Abner Cloud, a miller who had come here from Pennsylvania, built the house in 1801. Cloud's mill was about 200 yards upstream. The basement of the house was used by Cloud to store grain and flour, and the family lived in the upper floors. Restoration was completed in 1976, with much assistance from the Colonial Dames of America, Chapter III. The top two floors are now their headquarters.
(sidebar) George Washington's Patowmack Canal, completed in 1802, provided Cloud access to Georgetown markets. Long, narrow boats, called sharpers, transported his flour, entering the Potomac River just upstream from here, near Little Falls.