Natomas Company activities started in this area in 1857 with the acquisition of 9,000 acres from the Joseph L. Folsom estate.
Early partners engaged in water, granite quarrying, agriculture, vineyards, gold mining, hydro-electric power and helped build Folsom Prison and historic Folsom Powerhouse. After 1900, Natomas began gold dredging operations. Estimates are that one hundred million dollars in gold were taken from this Folsom field. The last of seven working dredgers was dismantled in 1962 and sent to South America.
Here stood the town of Natomas, Natomas offices, water tower, machine shop, retort house (where gold was melted and poured into bars), train station, post office and company homes. All buildings were painted yellow and employees were know as "Yellow Town Kids." Street names were "Whiskey Row," "Rowdy Ridge" and "Poverty Gulch."
Dredging was interrupted during World War II. Converted machine shops produced parts for the Department of the Navy, earning Natomas Company the Army/Navy "E" Award.
Ties of a common past still bind Natomas Co. with Folsom.
Plaque placed by Natomas Real Estate Company and Folsom Historical Society