Located just across N. Fourth Street from Strawberry Square is Walnut Place, a slice of old downtown Harrisburg comprised of a series of late 19th and early 20th Century restored buildings and storefronts. Pictured here is the Rodearmel/German House, situated on the southeast corner of N. Fourth and Walnut Street, and a neighboring structure, both erected circa 1855 as single-family homes. the corner property's first floor was later converted to a drug store as shown in this photo when this area of the downtown started to become commercial, although the neighboring properties still were primarily residential. They were later converted or replaced with commercial buildings. Walnut Place was threatened by the wreckers ball in the 1970's at the time Aberdeen Street was widened to handle increased traffic to Market Street. however, through recognizing Walnut Place's intrinsic charm and historic qualities, the City of Harrisburg worked with local developers, property owners and retailers to rehabilitate all of the buildings on the block. The City also provided site improvements including sidewalks, trees, period lighting and a courtyard to the rear of the structures. The block is now comprised of quaint shops and restaurants which, when contrasted with the surrounding high-rise buildings, creates a diverse urban setting.
Rodearmel/German House at N. Fourth and Walnut Streets circa 1895.